Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

So I have had about a "month" of school here. Why a "month" you might ask? Well if we don't count the first week of school in which we did absolutely nothing-the first day of school for the first hour it was me with about 600 students all staring at me-then the strikes for a few grades that have over 100 students, then the strikes for the students who don't have professors for certain classes, then the different holidays, the days it rains, then that leaves us with a few days of steady classes. For strikes that are not announced ahead of time, the students start blowing whistles and going into classes to let out the other students. I just pack up and run for safety before I get a rock to the head. Kidding. Kind of. A good part of the classes we do get to have I spend trying to understand what part they don't understand. This particular week has been junked because of too many strikes and holidays so I decided to spend the holiday eating way too much candy at the regional candy with another volunteer. I did try explaining Halloween to people at site, how people dress up weird and ask for candy at houses. I had grown men walking around saying "trick or treat" in a bad american accent for a few days, teaching them English phrases is a highlight of site.

Exciting news-I got electricity last week. In Burkina everything happens so slowly and with a lot of nagging, but I told them I wanted it and they made it happen fast. So fast that when I came home one night it was already dark and I walked out to my latrine and almost fell in the trenches outside my house for the power lines. Good surprise but not exactly how I wanted to find out that I am getting electricity.The next morning the electrician was knocking on my door at 6 am asking me to skip my classes so they could put it all in that morning.

Well thats about it for now, keep those awesome packages coming-they make my day and the day of the volunteer who so generously brings them down from Ouaga...I hear Christmas is around the corner and I dont have a santa hat yet (hint hint)!

No comments:

Post a Comment