Sunday, September 1, 2013

Yup...I'm still alive

More than a week down, only about a bazillion left. The first day here was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I only cried once! The PC sends us to site with a Burkinabe driver in PC vehicle with all of our stuff. The driver settles us in and helps us adjust a little. We had just met the Chef of the village and we were all at the local restaurant for lunch with the chef and about 10 other people I had supposedly met before. My driver tells me he is going to leave at about 1pm, it was only about 11:30 when he stands up announcing his departure. It literally took every bone in my body not to latch on and start crying begging him to stay a little longer, not to leave me alone in the bush. We move to say goodbyes and when I return the Chef starts laughing at me-and everyone else joins in- then hands me a tissue to dry my eyes because it was pretty obvious I had been crying.
As if I wasn't scared enough my first night to add to that I don't have electricity, didn't know where my lights were, don't have a door to my courtyard, and I had a bat visit me. The bat is now my friend who comes back every night at about the same time to scare the daylights out of me.
Back to the no door to the courtyard. I can literally hear every little movement that happens outside. It sounds like someone is on my house when they are walking 30 feet away. One of my first nights here I was talking on the phone in my bed which happens to be below the window. Someone decides that its either hilarious to terrify the Nasara at 8pm or that they want to chat. Either is a bad idea that late. The kid-I am pretty sure I know who it was and I gave them a hard time the next day-stood outside my window chanting "Madame. Madame" for a solid hour. After telling them to go away multiple times to go away they continued. Pretty sure they thought I was going to come out late at night to cozy. Ahhh probs not dude.
I have had to train people that I go to my house when It gets dark and don't answer the door and I wont open the door till 8 am for visitors. This morning my friend came over and said he stopped by at 6 am. I just stared at him and started laughing. People get up so early here they just assume I will too so its ok to wake me up at 6 am.
So far its been very interesting. I hate cooking inside because its so hot, so I just wait at other peoples houses for meals. They love it. They just assume I have no idea how to cook anything, which here you have to start from scratch so that is pretty much true. They ask me what I eat in the states to survive-apparently a girl who can't cook is pretty rare-and why I dont know how to make to, their favorite food that happens to be my least favorite. Again all I can is laugh at their expressions when I say we don't have that in the states.
Sorry for the delays but its hard to find time to get internet, power, and service all in the same day!
Oh and if you have any ideas for activities with no lights after dark when I am locked away in my house post them!
Last note-I have officially survived 3 months in Africa without pooping my pants!!!!!!! although there have definitely been some close calls!

1 comment:

  1. Sam! It's so good to hear an update from you! I've been waiting! Let me know if there is anything I can send to you, and where to send it! Miss you and I'm praying for you!

    -Ashley Miller

    ReplyDelete